Welcome to DUHWS
The Durham University Hill Walking Society (DUHWS) is one of the largest and most active societies at Durham. We pride ourselves on having something to offer everyone, whether new to hill walking or an experienced mountaineer!
If you share our love for the great outdoors and the British fells, we’re the right society for you! We’re a great way to escape the Durham bubble, and offer opportunities for fell walking, running, mountaineering, and scrambling, alongside a number of training courses and potential qualifications.
- We walked on 26 different days
- With 126 different routes
- We had 305 different people on walks
- We walked more than 19,700km
- And climbed over 990,000 meters
The running of the society
- Exec – The people who keep the society running
- Leaders – The people who keep our members safe on the hills
- Residential trips – Find out about our residential trips which happen once per term
- Constitution and Policies – The current society constitution including details of exec positions and the society safety guidelines, the aims of the society and other legal information.
- Opportunities – Qualifications and training available through DUHWS
- Other Societies – Other societies at Durham that we’ve worked with and that may interest you
- DUHWS Likes – Some of the companies, hostels and websites we particularly like